Kadayif – Shredded Phyllo Pastry
Shredded Phyllo Pastry with Walnuts or Cheese
Kadayif dough is like shredded wheat. Cousin Astrid in LA served us Kadayif with cheese on our first vist out west. This dessert can be made with cheese or nut filling. Make sure the cheese is not salty. You can bake the Kadayif a day ahead, then reheat immediately before serving and pour the syrup on.
|2 pounds||shredded phyllo dough (frozen, packaged)|
|3/4 pound||clarified butter or ghee|
|Nut or Cheese Filling|
|1 teaspoon||lemon juice|
|1 pound||walnut meats, chopped fine|
|11/4 pounds||mild, white Muenster cheese, grated|
|1/2 pound||Feta (Greek cheese) grated or crumbled|
|1/2 pound||cottage cheese|
|1/2 teaspoon||ground cinnamon|
- Though dough overnight per package directions
- Mix ingredients for Nut or Cheese Filling
- Place kadayif in a large bowl. separate and loosen all shreds.
- Pour melted butter over it and coat all shreds well. Reserve abount 1/4 cup of butter to brush top.
- Divide mixture in half, spread half on a lightly buttered pan (12″x l8″). Press gently.
- Spoon filling over this layer evenly, cover with remaining kadayif, brush top with butter.
- Bake in preheated 350° F oven for 45 minutes or until delicately brown.
- Cool for a few minutes.
- Make syrup: Boil sugar and water together 10 minutes; add 1 teaspoon. lemon juice.
- Pour hot syrup over entire top while kadayif is warm.
- Cut into serving pieces. Let stand 30 minutes before serving