Lahmajune – Armenian Pizza
Lahmajune has been referred to as Armenian pizza. These delicious pies are sold by street vendors in the Middle East rolled and wrapped in waxed paper.
If there is no time to make the dough, split pita rounds are an acceptable substitute.
|2 cups||sifted all-purpose flour|
|1/2 cup||lukewarm water|
|1 pkg||active dry yeast|
|1/4 cup||melted Crisco|
|1 lb||lamb, ground fine|
|2 cups||onion, chopped fine|
|1/4 cup||fresh parsley, chopped fine|
|1/2 small||bell pepper, chopped|
|1 teaspoon||fresh mint leaves, chopped|
|1/2||clove garlic, chopped|
|1/2 small(6oz) can||tomato paste|
|1/2 small(12oz) can||whole tomatoes, drained|
|salt and pepper to taste|
- Mix dough ingredients thoroughly
- Knead well until smooth and elastic
- Cover and allow to rise 2 to 3 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Prepare meat mixture while dough is rising.
- Mix meat ingredients thoroughly in order listed.
- After dough has risen, divide into 12 egg-shaped pieces.
- Allow to rest 10 minutes
- Roll each piece of dough into a circle 6″ to 7″ in diameter, very thin (less than 1/8” thick)
- Spread approx. 1/3 cup of meat mixture thinly on flattened dough, covering entire surface.
- Place lahmajoons on a greased baking sheet and bake in 450° F oven for 10-15 minutes.
Lahmajune may be baked ahead of time and warmed before serving. Stack in a pan with meat sides facing, refrigerate.